Link to the webcast for downloading to your iPod, iPhone, or other compatible device.
Highlights of Episode 2:
- Hockey Officiating news from October and November 2008,
- Listener Email,
- An interview with our special guest, Shane Hanlon, Referee-in-Chief of the American Collegiate Hockey Association.
- HockeyRefCast News:
- Useful New Websites
- Behind the Scenes with Ian Walsh at NHLofficials.com. Currently three articles published about the NHL training camp, and working in Anaheim and New York City.
- Officiating By Stewart, Paul Stewart's website. Former NHL referee and current director of officiating for the ECAC. Highlights of the site:
- Paul Stewart Bio including YouTube clip of a fight he participated in as a player with the Quebec Nordiques.
- Description of Paul's Camp that takes place each year in August.
- Ask Stew, where Paul answers questions from fellow officials. This page includes a clip from the "Make the Right Call" segment of the Hockey Night in Canada Radio program.
- USA Hockey Officiating Program Web Site
Reebok / CCM Hockey Helmet Recall: Hockey Helmets Recalled by Reebok-CCM Due to Head and Neck Injury Hazard, bulletin from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission regarding approximately 1,000 helmets sold between May 2008 through July 2008 at sporting goods dealers and on-line merchants throughout the United States.Check for similar recalls or product quality issues if you live and work in other countries.
- Listener Email:
- Recommended Products / Services for Off-ice Fitness Training:
- Polar Fitness Computers are available from Polar Electro Oy. I use a Polar S625X which is useful for running and cycling. It's tough enough to wear during a hockey game, although it would probably be damaged by a direct hit from a slapshot.
- Garmin Fitness Devices are available from Garmin Ltd.. These are more appropriate / useful for outdoor exercise, due to their extensive GPS capabilities.
- Lance Armstrong: Run Longer workout mix created to be compatible with Nike Plus-compatible devices such as the iPod nano. Also useful on any iPod or iPhone device.
- Shane Hanlon Interview:
Biography: Shane is the Referee-in-Chief of the American Collegiate Hockey Association. The ACHA is the governing body for non-varsity hockey at the collegiate level in the United States.Shane has been a USA Hockey official for over 10 years. He has officiated in several National Championships for USA Hockey and has also worked as an on-ice official for the ECAC. He currently serves as a director of the Eastern Collegiate Hockey Officials Association, an officiating group affiliated with several ACHA Division I leagues in the Mid-Atlantic Region of the United States.
- American Collegiate Hockey Association
- Eastern Collegiate Hockey Officials Association, an officiating organization in the states of NJ, PA, DE, MD, and RI that staffs ACHA Division I games.
- Mid-Atlantic Hockey Officials Association, an officiating organization in the states of NJ, PA, DE, and NY that staffs ACHA Division II and Division III games.
Thanks to Chris Wertz of Phoenix, Arizona and Pat Cunningham of Newtown, Pennsylvania for their comments and questions which were discussed in this episode.